This is the salad that I made with the half that was left over. It is a nice lower carb alternative to potato salad, if you are looking for one. most celery root salads that I have had are remoulade-style, and combine raw shredded celery root with a mustard vinaigrette. I think this is much better:
Roasted celery root salad
- Leftover roasted celery root with skin (we used a little more than half of a two pound root)
- 1/2 cup chopped diced pickles (see below)
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- salt (if needed) and pepper
- Cut the celery root into 1/2 to 3/4 inch dice.
- Combine with pickles, capers and dill.
- Combine the mustard, mayonnaise and vinegar and mix into the salad.
- Add salt if needed (it may not be, since the pickles and capers are salty) andpepper.
- Serves 4 as a side dish.
What kind of pickles to use? We used the slightly spicy Israeli pickles that you get in a can. You could also use French-style cornichons, half sours, or sour dill pickles. Each will alter the character of the dish, and each will be good.