Moroccan carrot salad with pistachios
- about 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons of sugar, to taste
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon orange-flower water
- 1-2 tablespoons pistachio oil (see below)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- One pound carrots
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachio meats, or more if you really like them
- Combine the salt, sugar, lemon juice, orange flower water and pistachio oil in the bottom of a serving bowl, and mix well with a fork. Add a pinch of cayenne if you want
- Peel and grate the carrots on the large wholes of a hand grater. ( The processor disk of a food processor would also work, but avoid the carrot shreds you can buy in the supermarket for this dish. They do not exude the juice that hand-grated carrots do, and this becomes part of the sauce. )
- Mix the carrots into the dressing in the serving bowl, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with the chopped pistachios just before serving.
- Serves 4-8 as part of a selection of appetizer salads.
Pistachio oil: I am hooked, but if you don't want to spring for it, you can use olive oil. For something more authentically Moroccan try argan oil, which I have actually never tasted but will one day.