Sunday, February 27, 2011

Brussels sprouts reconsidered

One day I wasn't sure exactly when Amy was going to get home, and I was also in the mood for roasted Brussels sprouts.  (This could actually describe almost any day.)  Rather than roasting them at 425 like I usually do, I roasted them at 350 so that they would take longer to cook.  They ended up in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, and then I broiled them for a few minutes at the end.  Also, rather than spraying them with oil spray, I tossed them in a bowl with a little olive oil. And they were better.  Amy often complains that Brussels sprouts taste too cabbage-y (duh). but I have to admit that with longer slower cooking, the cabbage flavor was less pronounced. To serve, we drizzled them with a little more oil and then sprinkled on Aleppo pepper, toasted sesame seeds, zaatar and more Maldon salt.   Yum.  (Since these spices should be readily available in Jerusalem, this makes it a good dish for Harry, Zach, Seth and Rachel to make there.  I have no idea if it is as easy to find Brussels sprouts.)   Here is how to do it:

Revised roasted Brussels sprouts:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Rinse the Brussels sprouts, trim off the root ends, and cut them in half lengthwise.
  3. Put them in a large mixing bowl and drizzle lightly with olive oil.  You conscience should dictate the amounts, but you can get by with less than a teaspoon for a pound of sprouts. Mix well to coat them with oil.  Sprinkle with coarse salt (I like Maldon) and toss again to mix.
  4. Put on a baking sheet cut side down.  (I line it with foil to make it easier to clean, but they will caramelize better if you don't.  Spray the sheet or foil with oil spray if you would like.) 
  5. Roast for 30-35 minutes until tender. Broil for a few minutes if you would like , but be careful not to burn.
  6. Serve plain or season.  They are very nice drizzle with a garlic or lemon infused olive oil.  Or, do as I did above, and drizzle with plain olive oil, and toss with salt, sumac, zaatar and toasted sesame seeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment