Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Nut case: cashew butter and banana sandwich

Is he nuts? Why bother posting this as a "recipe?" Because it is good, not to mention easy.

One of the advantages of working at home is not having to go out to lunch. One of the disadvantages of working at home is there may be nothing to eat, even in our kitchen, so sometimes I find myself scraping the bottom of the barrel. This leads to eating things like the sardine and avocado sandwich that I posted about a few days ago, and to rigorous experimentation with banana and nut butter sandwiches.

I have never been a peanut butter and jelly fan. I hate the way the bread absorbs the jelly and turns squishy and purple-ish or red-ish. So decades went by between elementary school and fatherhood when I didn't eat peanut butter sandwiches at all. Then my kids would eat them, with jelly, honey or banana, and I found that I kind of liked nut butter and banana.

Over the past week or two I decided to try a variety of nut butters : peanut, almond and cashew. We usually don't stock cashew butter, but we had a jar hanging around from Pesach, and it won hands down. There is something about it that brings out the inherent sweetness of the banana. So here is the recipe (is this a bit excessive?):

Cashew butter and banana sandwich

Ingredients:
  • 2 slices bread, preferably whole-grain
  • 1 small, ripe banana (it should have at least a few brown spots)
  • cashew butter

Method:
  1. Toast the bread.
  2. Smear one or both pieces of bread with the cashew butter.
  3. Slice banana about 1/4 inch thick and put on the toast.
  4. Put the two pieces of bread together, and cut sandwich in half.

Serves one.

1 comment:

  1. I make this, but add to it a drizzle of honey and a couple shakes of cinnamon. It's my new favorite breakfast.

    ReplyDelete